Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sweet Marie Bars.

We were at my in-laws house this weekend and I devoured these.  Every time they were passed around I found myself saying, "Just one more..." These bars are nicknamed, "Bars of Goodness"by my sister in-law, and are a good mix of  peanut butter, chocolate and chewy crunch.   Enjoy, I know I did. ;)
 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter (unsweetened or else these bars are intensely sweet)
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal 
1 cup nuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips 
1 tbsp peanut butter


Melt sugar, corn syrup and peanut butter in a large pot, but do not boil!
Add the rice crispies and butter, mix until combined.
Press into a large pan, should be a little less than and inch thick.
Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in microwave in 10 second spurts.
Spread chocolate over the base, cut while still warm and then let cool or else they get harder to cut. Let them sit for about an hour to harden a become more solid.


These freeze exceptionally well, so will be perfect for late night snacks or unexpected guests.
I used Puffed wheat cereal, was a little chewier but still delicious
Mind the dishes in the back, this is real life and some baking needed to get done!
Licking the bowl: Is that considered cleaning up?

No comments:

Post a Comment