Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lentil Soup.

If you have been keeping up with any media lately, the buzz words around food right now is sustainable, organic, meatless, and healthy.
I love vegetables, which is rare for some, but I grew up with two green thumb parents and woudl go out and pick green beans, carrots, snow peas right from the plant and snack whenever I wanted.  It really does taste better fresh.  My dad would always eat his vegetables with the same satisfied statement, "Just like candy." We would roll our eyes, but I think as I have aged, I have inherited his taste buds and his appreciation for this heart and health friendly food.
As I consider meatless meals, this one came up from Weelicious that I love for the sake of ease and straight forward directions.  And bonus...the kids like it!
This recipe is inspired by Aimee, whom I told had to cook double the amount if she cooked something vegetarian for the swap so that it would be fair cost wise.  She changed her dish, but it left me with a craving!
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
2 Leeks, chopped (use only the white and light green part of the leek)
2 Large Carrots, chopped
3 Celery Stalks, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tbsp Fresh OR 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
8 Cups Vegetable Stock (you could also use chicken stock)
1 32 Oz Can Chopped Tomatoes with juice
2 cups Dried Lentils (
2 Cups Kale or Swiss Chard, chopped (I used frozen spinach in a pinch.)

1. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
3. Place the onion mixture with the remaining ingredients in a crock pot and stir.
4. 3.  Rinse your dried lentils under some water. Add the drained lentils to the crockpot, cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
5. Top with desired accompaniment (sour cream, cheeses, salt, pepper, hot sauce) and serve.
* You can also place all of the ingredients in a large pot over low to medium heat and cover for 90 minutes or until tender.

Fantastic for freezing!  I freeze this in medium ziplock bags for lunch sized portions rather than one giant pot that would have us eating the same soup for days on end.
Less time on lunch, so that I can focus on THIS!  "Sorting toys day"...it gets worse before it gets better . :)

No comments:

Post a Comment